The Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (WIDHH) is a provincial, multi-disciplinary, registered charitable organization serving the needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals of all ages. We provide innovative client services and programs in several social service areas: Sign Language Interpreting; Employment Counseling; Seniors Outreach; Audiology and Communication Aids. Established in 1956, WIDHH has received numerous accolades over the years for our excellence in client services and community work.
Our Counselling Department is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the following position at our Head Office location (2125 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver BC):
Part-time, (3 days per week), one year contract, extendable
April 1st, 2019 to April 1st, 2020
The Job Developer will be responsible for providing specialized job development services to Deaf, Deafened, Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind clients.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Meet one on one with job seekers to complete job search assessment
- Refer clients to workshops and programs that will help them meet their employment goals
- Assist clients to identify suitable employment options
- Locate prospective employers, create employment partnership opportunities with stakeholders
- Develop relationships with employers and match clients with employers that align with client goals and support long term attachment to the labour market
- Work with clients to help them prepare for interviews
- Contact employers to assist clients in securing interviews and meet employment objectives
- Promote target wage subsidies, self-employment and work experience to employers
- Facilitate employment work experience, community attachment and employment placements
- Maintain accurate case notes, reports and statistical information using ICM
- Must be self-motivated and flexible with the ability to multitask, take initiative, work independently with minimal supervision, and work effectively under pressure in a demanding performance based environment
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Diploma in social services, business development or labour market knowledge
- Recent job developer related experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- American Sign Language is an asset for this position
- Knowledge of Deaf, Deafened, Hard of Hearing and Deaf-Blind workplace accommodation needs for successful labour market attachments
- Experience with multiple forms of communication methods (Glide, Facetime, email, telephone, text, fax, etc.)
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and organize caseloads
- Experience working with diverse client populations including individuals with multiple barriers and persons with disabilities; ability to serve clients across all socio-economic and cultural groups, and engage and motivate clients in job search.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with clients
- Established relationships within the local business community and proven track record in job placement, recruitment and employment retention
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills combined with a professional demeanor and ability to build rapport with a variety of stakeholders; clients, staff, service providers, employers and funders
- Advanced computer and technical skills including MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and Social Media
- Experience with electronic data management systems and/or direct experience utilizing Integrated Case Management (ICM) System is preferred
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
Application deadline is Friday, March 1st, 2019 at 5:00 pm. Priority consideration will be given to qualified candidates who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Please reply in confidence with cover letter and resume to:
Marco Chiaramonte, B.Sc., CCDP., Acting Head of Counselling
Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Our Administration Department is looking for a reliable and energetic person to fill the following position at our Head Office location (2125 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver, BC):
Front Desk Receptionist
The Front Desk Receptionist greets all people contacting WIDHH in person, by telephone/TTY or e-mail in a friendly, helpful and professional manner. Responds to all such inquiries; indicates location of facilities to clients; informs staff of client arrivals; handles financial transactions; enters computer data as designated.
- Greet clients as they arrive; direct them to waiting areas; advise of any scheduling delays.
- Administer the telephone and voicemail system: answer and direct incoming calls, take detailed messages.
- Works closely with Audiology Administration in handling of client calls and booking appointments.
- Ensures reception area is tidy, presentable and welcoming.
- Provides general and basic information regarding WIDHH to clients and other enquiries regarding external services.
- Process payments for transactions and produce invoices.
- Other administrative duties: management of mail/deliveries; assists in general monitoring/security; assists with event/meeting management.
- High School Graduation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in person and on the telephone – clear speaking voice.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Deaf, Deaf Blind and Hard of Hearing individuals.
- Well groomed, presents professionally.
- Work independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in person and on the telephone.
- Proficient computer use in a networked MS Office Windows environment.
- The Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing is a bilingual environment (ASL/English), fluency in American Sign Language (ASL) is required for this position.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Reference Check.
We will fill this position as applications arrive, so please apply early! Please reply in confidence with your resume and cover letter to:
Ruth Gessner, Executive Assistant
Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing