For Deafblind users: please click largest “A” as many times as needed

Text Size A A A

Our Mission, Vision and Values

Mission & Vision

Mission

WIDHH’s mission is to serve Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals, their families and the community by delivering innovative programs, products and solutions to achieve full communication accessibility.

Vision

A society where Deaf, Hard of Hearing and Hearing people can interact freely without communication barriers.

Values

  • Inclusiveness – We respect and value diversity and a commitment to equality.
  • Participation – We value and recognize the contribution of volunteers and the people we serve.
  • Quality – We strive for excellence through continuous improvement and aspire to best practices in all service areas.
  • Teamwork – We commit to a culture of collaboration and innovation.
  • Advocacy – We promote the importance of accessibility and Deaf and Hard of Hearing rights.

History

WIDHH has a long and proud history of serving Deaf and Hard of Hearing British Columbians. 

At one time in BC, two distinct groups existed for people with hearing loss and deafness – the Vancouver Adult Deaf Association (VADA) and the Vancouver League for the Hard of Hearing (VLHH). These groups addressed the social, recreational, and self-help needs of their members. But in 1950, a local Vancouver Quota Club committee investigated what more could be done to help all people with hearing issues, whether they were Deaf, Deafened, Deafblind, or Hard of Hearing.

History

The result was the merger of VADA and VLHH and the formation of one society in 1956. Both groups kept their own identities but supported the new entity - the Society for the Advancement of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (the “Society”). The Society drew representatives from the Quota Club, the Parent-Teacher Association of Jericho Hill School for the Deaf, and Metropolitan Health Services. Deaf and Hard of Hearing persons were elected to the Society’s Board of Directors. 

From 1956 to 1960, the Society was devoted to creating an organization that could address the needs and concerns of its constituents and laid the groundwork for today’s Counselling and Sign Language Interpreting services. The organization’s name was eventually changed to the Western Institute of the Deaf (WID) in 1965. In 1966, WID hired its first Audiologist to assist individuals with hearing aid needs.

Later in the 1980s, WID decided to develop income-generating options to support the organization’s free community programs, so the Audiology Department was authorized to start selling hearing aids as a social enterprise. WID also began to sell assistive devices beyond hearing aids in what is known today as the Communication Devices Showroom. Then in 1989, WID’s name was changed to the Western Institute for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to better reflect the true scope and diversity of all the individuals that we continue to serve today.